Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shannon made a craft? Say What?!

Yes, yes it's true! I am posting two days in a row! I don't know what has come over me. I've been wanting to post about the craft I made earlier this year. Did you notice the "the" in the prior sentence?! That's because I think it is THE only craft I have ever made, except of course maybe a Popsicle stick house in preschool.







Its a magnetic calendar!! I went to Lowes & bought a metal piece & Tyler's Dad cut it down to the perfect size so I could frame it (Thanks Scott!) . Then I took a nail and hammer & hammered holes to outline the month & days. Then I painted it & created the dates by painting wood pieces & stamping the numbers. I went to a scrapbook store & bought metal charms for holidays & glued them onto magnets. It was quite time consuming & I ended up with sore fingers from all that hammering (OUCH!) but it was fun to make something.




So... few days ago I was in Poppy's, a home decor store in Mesa, and saw these metal pieces painted with ribbon to hang them. You can use them as a magnet board for pictures, cards, invites, or whatever. I was so excited because the colors matched my calendar so perfectly. I was excited until I saw the price! The Martha Steweart began to emerge from me once again, so I went straight over to Lowes to buy a metal piece & get started on my 2nd craft ever. P.S Thank you obnoxious little boy in line who pointed out that my fly was down!




Here is how it turned out...


You can use any size metal, any color paint, & all different kinds of ribbon to make it your own & it will be SOOO much cheaper than buying it at Poppy's!






6 comments:

Jodi said...

Hey Shannon! Are you getting all artsy-fartsy on us? That is really cute. I'm gonna have to come see it in person. Good Job!

Oh, and MY GOSH - Two days in a row? I'm gonna pass out! :0)

Cheryl said...

I can't wait to see your new craft! It looks nice but I want to see it close up. Your calendar looks professional so I'm sure this latest project looks just the same. You have such a pretty house! I'm jealous of your decorating ability.

Derek & Melanie said...

Way to go friend! They both look great. I just may have to copy you and make them for myself. It would be fun to have a project to do. I'm getting lonely here in Tucson. Can't wait to see you tomorrow and have some chocolate molten cake...and DP!

Cassie said...

I really like the calendar. You will have to come over one day and help me make one. I am craft challenged.

Cassie said...

By the way, I like your new background. It's simple & cute!

Derek & Melanie said...

(this is Derek) I think it would have been more funny if your title said "Shannon made a crap?" But, what can you do. HA HA HA!!!